So your teen needs braces! The most common concern among teens is “brace face”. In fact, 41% think it’s embarrassing to wear metal braces. But aren’t metal braces highly-effective at straightening teeth and isn’t Invisalign expensive? We know you want to make the best decision for your teen’s health while also staying within your budget so we’re here to support you with the facts.
Let’s compare Invisalign vs metal braces.
What’s the pros and cons for metal braces for teens?
Traditional metal braces are high-quality metal alloy brackets cemented to your teeth with dental glue. These brackets are threaded together by an archwire and secured using elastics (tiny rubber bands for braces).
Pros of metal braces
- Highly-effective at treating simple and complex orthodontic problems. Metal braces can help fix your teen’s bite and can eliminate crowding, spacing, cross bites, overbite, and underbite!
- Your teen can personalize their braces with rubber bands. Teens can choose from our wide variety of elastics colors—go for a bold, fashion statement or a subtle monochrome look!
Cons of metal braces
- Higher risk of orthodontic emergencies. Metal brackets and wires can be prone to bend or break, especially if your teen plays contact sports! While we can create a custom performance mouthguard to protect your teen-athlete’s smile, accidents can still happen off the field.
- Restrictive diet. Hard, crunchy, sticky foods are off the table for your teen with metal braces. Your teens’ metal brackets can crack and break under the pressure exerted by these types of foods! Sticky foods are also difficult to clean from brackets and causes the dental cement to loosen or detach from braces brackets.
What are the pros and cons of Invisalign for teens?
Invisalign for teens is the clear alternative to traditional metal braces! Teens can now straighten their teeth without feeling self-conscious. No need to worry about looking good for yearbook photos, prom dates, or the big game on Friday night. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign clear aligners are clear, comfortable, and removable.
Check out all the pros of Invisalign for teens!
- Invisalign is virtually invisible. Teens can live their social lives and smile confidently without hiding their smile; Invisalign is practically undetectable when in place.
- Invisalign is removable. Remove your clear aligners to eat, brush your teeth, floss your teeth, clean your aligners, whiten your teeth or temporarily replace them with a mouthguard. Store them in your Invisalign carrying case, then rinse them out and pop them back in when you’re done!
- Invisalign is comfortable. Invisalign trays are custom-designed for each smile! Your aligners are literally made for you—your perfect match.
- Invisalign won’t hold you back. Your teen’s favorite foods are still on the table! Invisalign doesn’t require any dietary restrictions; simply remove your aligners to eat and place them back in after. Invisalign empowers teens to live life the way they want.
- With Invisalign, your teen gets less office visits. Office visits for teens with Invisalign are every 10-12 weeks with us versus monthly visits for traditional braces. Which means less time they’re missing out in school and extracurriculars!
Cons of Invisalign for teens
- Smile results depend on compliance. With Invisalign, teens have to be committed to wearing their trays for 20-22 hours a day. If your teen is not dedicated to their Invisalign treatment, their dream smile is at risk and they will need additional aligners, or refinement treatment!
- Teens must be dedicated to a strong oral hygiene routine. Your teen will need to brush their teeth and gums after every meal, floss once a day, and clean their Invisalign trays once a day.
- Aligners can get lost. Because Invisalign aligners are removable, they can be easily lost if not placed in an Invisalign carrying case.
Choose the Best Braces for Your Teen at Blue Wave!
If your teen needs braces, you aren’t just giving them the gift of a healthy, fabulous smile. You’re also helping boost their self-confidence and improving their oral health! Orthodontic treatment is truly a gift that lasts a lifetime!
As a Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider, we’re ranked in the top 1% of all Invisalign providers in the world! No provider in the Tampa Bay area has a more thorough knowledge of Invisalign and a case experience as diverse as ours. We understand teens’ concerns about their appearance with braces, that’s why our orthodontists will always recommend the best braces options that will meet their smile needs and allow them to look good. Because we believe when you look good. You’ll do good. And you’ll feel good.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions! We love to hear from you. At your teen’s first visit, our experienced orthodontists will craft a custom treatment and payment plan 100% for your teen and you!
If you’re looking for the best braces for teens or searching for a top orthodontist in North Tampa, South Tampa, East Bradenton or Wesley Chapel, come meet our amazing team! Request a complimentary exam for you or your child today.