If you are considering correcting your smile or the smile of your children, you should consider the pros and cons of traditional braces and Invisalign clear aligners. Both straighten teeth, correct bites, create beautiful smiles and offer the additional ability to resolve dental crowding, space issues, crossbite, overbite, underbite and assist in creating a healthier oral environment
The Invisalign treatment system consists of a series of progressively changing clear aligners that are each worn for one week. These individually manufactured aligners are precisely made with exact calculations from 3D scanning to shift your teeth into their ideal position;giving you straighter teeth, improved bite and a more beautiful smile.
After your initial consultation, we will provide pricing for both Invisalign and Traditional Braces. Usually costs are the same, although sometimes there may be a small difference. Let’s go over those pros for each.
Pro's for traditional braces over Invisalign
- No aligners to keep track of (nothing to lose)
- There are no aligners to take in and out (so, although there are eating restrictions, you don't have to remember to remove aligners or remember to put them back in)
- You can have colors on your braces that you change out at each visit
- You are less responsible for the results (with Invisalign, you have to be diligent to wearing them almost 22 hours a day.)
Pro's for Invisalign over traditional braces
- Invisalign is clear and virtually undetectable; visually and with speech
- Invisalign is a great choice for active lifestyles where injuries to lips and teeth are a concern (contact sports)
- Less discomfort after each tray change than days after getting or having your traditional braces adjusted
- They are smooth and less abrasive to your cheeks and tongue than traditional braces
- There are no eating restrictions (They are removed prior to eating, so no wires or braces to worry about. Sticky or hard foods are no problem.)
- Fewer office visits as there are no adjustments to be made (6 weeks braces v. 12 weeks aligners)
- No extra visits to our office for poking wires or loose braces
- It is easier to brush and floss your teeth (as once again, your Invisalign is removed prior to dental care)
- Usually takes less time to create smiles than traditional braces; average comparsion: 14 mos Invisalign v. 24 months braces
Dr. Randy Feldman adds, “in showing the pros for each, the cons are also revealed. It basically comes down to lifestyle, aesthetics, and time, as the costs are very similar. If you are still unsure as to the best method for yourself, do contact us for your free consultation.